Thursday, June 6, 2013

$10 Dinners: Rosa con Pollo


As a young wife and mother, I am still getting used to my roll as family chef. Until recently I had also been a college student, so my husband did most of the cooking. Now its my turn. 

So with that and mounting college loan fees up for repayment, sticking to a budget is even more important than ever. So I've presented myself with a budget of $10 per day for dinners that will feed four (dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day).

Here's a recipe I had seen on the Food Network's TV show called 10-Dollar Dinners, but I've been cooking this for years. Rosa con pollo is Spanish for rice with chicken. This is also a one-pot meal, which is great because there's much less you need to clean when you're done cooking.


Here's what you need to get started:

                      $0.00 - garlic powder (already be in my spice cabinet)
                      $0.00 - cumin  (already be in my spice cabinet)
                      $0.00 - Caldo de tomate seasoning (in ethnic food aisle and already in my spice cabinet)
                      $0 .00- red (cayenne) pepper (already in my spice cabinet)
                      $4.84 - 1 pkg chicken thighs (8 piece Perdue on sale, reg. price $8.10)
                      $1.49 - 1 - 1 1/2 cup long grain rice (16 oz bag...will be able to use for multiple dinners)
                      $0.94 - 1 red bell pepper
                      $0.67 - 1 green bell pepper
                      $0.68 - 1 white onion
                      $8.62 TOTAL !!! 


Step 1: Mix seasoning

First we need to combine seasoning for chicken. I've never really done this in a very quantitative manor but the last time I cooked this I tried to measure it out for you. Garlic season was the majority at about 2 tablespoons. Then add a half a tablespoon of cumin, as it is very bold in flavor. Last add cayenne pepper as preferred. I have acid reflux and I wanted to be able to share this with my toddler, Eva. So, I only added about 1 teaspoon. If you like spicy, feel free to add more.


Step 2: The Rub Down!

Apply the seasoning you just mixed to both sides of the thighs. Be generous as some will come off in the pot later.

Step 3: Cook chicken thighs

In a large skillet, add enough oil (vegetable or olive....I used olive since its healthier) so that all the meat will have some touching it once you place it it. Place in your meat that has just been seasoned. Cook long enough so that the top and bottom get a little browned. I left them in while I chopped my onions for the next step. 

Remove from skillet once mostly cooked. Don't worry about it not being done all the way because they're going back in again later. DON'T DUMP YOUR OIL.


 Step 4: Cook onions

Take the onions your chopped while step 3 was cooking and place them into the pan. While cooking chop bell peppers.


Step 5: Add in peppers

Add in newly chopped red and green bell peppers and cover. Allow to simmer on medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until they look 1/2 way cooked.


Step 6: Add in the rest

Here's where it gets fun. Add in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of white long grain rice (can substitute brown if preferred), caldo de tomate seasoning, and chicken and enough water to cover the rice. The caldo de tomate seasoning is tomato bullion with chicken flavor. My store caries it both in powder and cubed form. I'm using powder. I added 2 1/2 tablespoons for a light flavoring. Be careful! This stuff is saaaalty if you put too much in.

Cover and allow to cook for 30 minutes. Add water throughout to prevent rice from drying out and sticking to skillet.

ENJOY!!! Let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment